Trouble Shooting (Engine)
DETROIT DIESEL 53
NO FUEL OR INSUFFICIENT FUEL
8. Replace the gear and shaft assembly or the pump
1. The fuel tank should be filled above the level of the
fuel suction tube.
2. Perform a Fuel Flow Test and, if air is present,
9. Check the condition of the fuel pump drive and
tighten loose connections and replace cracked lines.
blower drive and replace defective parts.
3. Perform a Fuel Flow Test and, if air is present,
10. Replace with larger tank-to-engine fuel Iines.
replace the fuel strainer gasket when changing the
11. Install a restricted fitting in the return line.
4. Perform a Fuel Flow Test and, if air is present with
all fuel lines and connections assembled correctly,
12. Make sure that the check valve is installed in the
check for and replace faulty injectors.
tine correctly; the arrow should be on top of the valve
assembly or pointing upward. Reposition the valve if
5. Perform a Fuel Flow Test and replace the fuel
necessary. If the valve is inoperative, replace it with a
strainer and filter elements and the fuel lines, if
new valve assembly.
13. Check the engine fuel spill-back temperature. The
6. Consult the Fuel Oil Specifications for the
return fuel temperature must be less than 150 oF. or a
recommended grade of fuel.
loss in horsepower will occur. This condition may be
7. Perform a Fuel Flow Test and, if inadequate, clean
corrected by installing larger fuel lines or relocating
and inspect the valve seat assembly.
the fuel tank to a cooler position.
SEC. 15.2 Page 11