Trouble Shooting (Engine)
DETROIT DIESEL 53
LOW OIL PRESSURE
7. Replace missing plugs.
1. Check the oil and bring it to the proper level on the
dipstick or correct the installation angle.
8. Check the oil pressure with a reliable gage and
replace the gage if found faulty.
2. Consult the Lubricating Oil Specifications in
Section 13.3 for the recommended grade and viscosity
9. Remove and clean the gage line; replace it, if
Check for fuel leaks at the injector nut seal ring and
10. Remove and clean the gage orifice.
fuel pipe connections. Leaks at these points will cause
lubricating oil dilution.
11. Repair or replace defective electrical equipment.
3. A plugged oil cooler is indicated by excessively high
12. Remove and clean the oil pan and oil intake
lubricating oil temperature. Remove and clean the oil
screen. Consult the Lubricating Oil Specifications in
Section 13.3 for the proper grade and viscosity of oil
Change the oil filters.
4. Remove the by-pass valve and clean the valve and
valve seat and inspect the valve spring. Replace
13. Remove and inspect the valve, valve bore and
spring. Replace faulty parts.
5. Remove the pressure regulator valve and clean the
14. Disassemble the piping and install new gaskets.
valve and valve seat and inspect the valve spring.
Replace defective parts.
15. Remove the pump. Clean and replace defective
6. Change the bearings. Consult the Lubricating Oil
Specifications in Section 13.3 for the proper grade and
16. Remove the flange and replace the gasket.
viscosity of oil. Change the oil filters.
November, 1973 SEC. 15.2 Page 15