VARIABLE SPEED GOVERNOR
8. Place the fork against the operating shaft,
with the two cam faces of the fork facing away
from the governor weights. Thread the fork-
attaching screws in approximately two or three
turns. The screws are tightened after the weight
and shaft assembly is installed.
9. Install the booster-spring bracket.
10. Slide the speed-control shaft assembly in
the control housing. Then place the speed-
control lever on the shaft and tap the pin in
place to secure the lever.
11. Install the booster spring and the variable
12. Install the buffer screw.
Assemble Weight and Shaft Assembly
1. If the weight carrier was removed from the
weight shaft, press the carrier on the shaft so as
to allow a clearance of 0.001 to 0.006 inch be-
tween the shaft shoulder and the rear face of
the weight carrier.
2. Press the bearing (Fig. 3) in the retainer
(press on the outer race). Then install the
snapring with the flat side of the ring facing the
3. Press the bearing and retainer assembly on
the shaft until the bearing contacts the shoulder
on the shaft.
Figure 5. Governor Housing Details and
Relative Location of Parts.
Press on the inner race of the bearing.
4. Lubricate the shaft with clean engine oil. Then slide the riser and bearing assembly on the shaft.
5. Secure the weights to the carrier as follows:
a. Position one of the weights, with a spacer on each side, in the carrier.