VARIABLE SPEED GOVERNOR
Disassemble Weight Shaft Assembly
1. Press the bearing (Fig. 3) from the weight
2. If necessary, remove the snapring and press
the bearing from the retainer.
3. Remove the weight pin retainers and drive
the pins out of the carrier and weights. Remove
The weight pinhole in the carrier is larger at
the side where the pin retainers are located.
Figure 3. Governor Weight Details
4. Slide the riser and bearing assembly from
and Relative Location of
the shaft. Do not attempt to remove the bearing
since the riser and bearing are serviced only as
Disassemble Control Housing
1. Remove the outer nut on the variable speed spring eyebolt. Then remove the spring and eyebolt.
2. Pry the plug from the bottom of the weight housing.
3. Remove the snapring from the lower end of the operating shaft and tap the shaft and lever assembly out of
the control housing.
4. Remove the snapring and press the lower operating shaft bearing out of the weight housing.
5. Withdraw the outer nut and remove the booster spring and eyebolt.
6. Drive the pin from the speed-control lever and remove the lever from the shaft.
7. Slide the shaft and booster spring bracket from the housing.
8. Remove the buffer screw.
9. Disengage the small spring between the operating-shaft lever and the stop lever.
10. Remove the retaining ring and washer and lift the stop lever from the operating shaft.
11. Drive the pin from the operating-shaft lever and remove the lever from the shaft.
12. Slide the bearing shield from the operating shaft.
13. Press the bearing from the operating shaft.
Clean all of the parts (except the shielded upper operating-shaft bearing) with fuel oil and dry them with
Revolve the ball bearings slowly by hand. Replace bearings which indicate rough or tight spots. Also replace