INJECTOR CONTROL TUBE
Examine the control tube, control lever, control tube rack-control levers and brackets for excessive wear,
cracks or damage and replace them if necessary. The bearing in the bracket is not serviced separately.
Examine the yield springs and/or return spring and replace them if worn or fractured.
Assemble Injector Control Tube
With all of the parts cleaned and inspected and the necessary new parts on hand, refer to Fig. 1 or 2 and
assemble as follows:
1. On the two screw design injector control tube, install the rack-control levers on the control tube, with the
levers facing the front bracket position. Turn the adjusting screws into the slots in the control tube far enough
to position the levers.
2. On the one screw and lock nut design injector control tube, install the rack-control levers with the levers
facing the front bracket position and the R.H. helix yield springs. Then install the odd (L.H. helix) yield spring
and rack-control lever with the lever facing the front bracket position.
3. Attach the curled end of the yield springs to the rack-control levers and roll the springs into the notch (odd
yield spring) and the slots (R.H. helix yield springs) in the control tube. Then turn the adjusting screws and
lock nuts into the notch and slots far enough to position the levers on the control tube.
4. On both designs, install the control tube return spring and front bracket on the control tube. Attach the
curled end of the return spring to the rack-control lever and the extended end of the spring behind the front
Install Injector Control Tube
1. Engage the injector rack-control levers with the injector control racks and place the brackets over the mount
ing holes on the cylinder head.
2. Install the two 1/4-20 x 5/8- inch-long bolts and lock washers at each bracket to attach the injector control-
tube assembly to the cylinder head. Tighten the bolts to 10-12 lb ft (14-16 Nm) torque.
3. Check the control tube to be sure it is free in the brackets. Tap the control tube lightly to align the bearings
in the bracket, if necessary.
4. Connect the fuel rod to the injector tube-control lever with a clevis pin and a new cotter pin.
5. Refer to Engine Tuneup and position the injector rack control levers.
Be sure the injector rack- control levers can be placed in a no-fuel position before restarting the engine.
Loss of shut down control could result in a runaway engine which could cause personal injury.