DETROIT DIESEL 53
Camshaft and Bearings 1.7.2
Figure 8. Camshaft and Balance Shaft Details and Relative Location of Parts
Assemble and Install Camshaft and Balance Shaft
Refer to Fig. 8 and assemble the camshaft and balance shaft.
1. Install new end plugs in the camshaft. Press the plugs in to a depth of 1.940 " to 2.060 ".
2. Install the gears and thrust washers on their respective shafts as outlined in Section 1.7.3.
3. Lubricate the bearings and shafts with engine oil and slide the shaft assemblies into the cylinder block
being careful not to damage the bearings or the cams and journals. Make sure that the appropriate timing
marks on the gears are aligned. Refer to Gear Train and Engine Timing in Section 1.7.1.
4. Slide an oil slinger on the front end of both shafts.
6. Secure the thrust washers in place as shown in Fig. 2 and tighten the bolts to 30-35 lb-ft torque.
8. Attach the gear nut retainer plates (if used) to the gears with bolts and lock washers and tighten the bolts to
9. Check the clearance between the thrust washer and the gear on both shafts. The clearance should be .005
" to .015 ", or a maximum of .019 " with used parts.
10. Check the backlash between the mating gears. The backlash should be .003 " to .005 " and should not
exceed .007 " between used gears.
11. Install the flywheel housing and other parts or assemblies that were removed from the engine as outlined
in their respective sections of this manual.
August, 1972 SEC. 1.7.2 Page 7