DETROIT DIESEL 53
Figure 2. Installing Camshaft Gear
4. Start the camshaft gear over the end of the camshaft with the key in the shaft registering with the keyway
in the gear.
5. Then, with the camshaft supported in an arbor press, place a sleeve on top of the gear and under the ram
of the press. Bring the ram of the press down on the sleeve and press the gear tight against the spacer on the
6. Measure the clearance between the camshaft thrust washer and the camshaft. This clearance should be
.008" to .015" when new parts are used. With used parts, a maximum clearance of .021" is allowable.
7. Install the gear retaining nut on the camshaft by hand. Tighten the nut after the shaft is installed in the
8. Install the gear on the balance shaft in a similar manner. No rear spacer is used with the balance shaft
gear, since the gear seats against a shoulder on the shaft.
9. Install the camshaft and balance shaft in the engine as outlined in Section 1.7.