DETROIT DIESEL 53
5. Remove all of the accessories and assemblies with their attaching parts as necessary to permit the engine to be
mounted on an overhaul stand.
Mount the engine on an overhaul stand and fasten it securely to the mounting plate.
CAUTION: Be absolutely sure the engine is securely attached to the stand
before releasing the lifting sling. Severe injury to personnel and destruction of
engine parts will result if the engine breaks away from the stand.
Remove the oil pan.
Remove the oil pump inlet pipe and screen.
Remove the flywheel and flywheel housing.
10. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
11. Remove the front engine support.
12. Remove the engine lower front cover and oil pump assembly.
13. Remove the cylinder head(s).
15. Remove the connecting rod bearing caps.
16. Remove the main bearing caps.
17. Remove the thrust washers from each side of the rear main bearing.
18. Remove the pistons, connecting rods and liners.
19. Remove the crankshaft, including the timing gear (Fig. 3).
of the oil pump drive gear.
Fig. 3 - Removing or Installing Crankshaft