DETROIT DIESEL 53
Cylinder Block 1.1
Fig. 8 - Vertical Oil Passages in Top of Cylinder Block
16. Remove the engine mounting bolts.
17. Use a chain hoist and suitable sling attached to the engine lifting brackets to lift the engine.
18. Place the side of the cylinder block against the adaptor plate on the overhaul stand (Fig. 9). Use adaptor plate J
7622 (In-Line engine), with overhaul stand J 6837-01.
19. Align the bolt holes in the adaptor plate with the holes in the cylinder block. Then install the 3/8 "-16 and 5/16 "-18
bolts, with a flat washer under the head of each bolt, and tighten them securely.
CAUTION: Be sure the engine is securely mounted to the
overhaul stand before releasing the lifting sling. Severe injury to
personnel and destruction of engine parts will result if the engine
breaks away from the overhaul stand.
20. With the engine mounted on the overhaul stand, remove all of the remaining sub-assemblies and parts from the
The procedure for removing each sub-assembly from the cylinder block, together with disassembly, inspection, repair
and reassembly of each, will be found in the various sections of this manual.
After stripping, the cylinder block must be thoroughly cleaned and inspected.
Fig. 9 · Engine Mounted on Overhaul Stand
Fig. 10 - Cylinder Block Prepared for Pressure Test