DETROIT DIESEL 53
P R O C E D U R E FOR RESTORING AN ENGINE TO SERVICE WHICH HAS BEEN
IN EXTENDED STORAGE
1. Remove the valve rocker cover(s) and pour at least
11. Service the air cleaner as outlined in Section 3.1.
one-half gallon of oil, of the same grade as used in the
crankcase, over the rocker arms and push rods.
2. Reinstall the valve rocker cover(s).
3. Remove the covers and tape from all of the
openings of the engine, fuel tank and electrical
equipment. Do nor overlook the exhaust outlet.
4. Wash the exterior of the engine with fuel oil to
remove the rust preventive.
5. Remove the rust preventive from the flywheel
6. Remove the paper strips from between the pulleys
and the belts.
7. Check the crankcase oil level. Fill the crankcase to
the proper level with the heavy-duty lubricating oil
recommended under Lubricating Oil Specifications
8. Fill the fuel tank with the fuel specified under Diesel
Fuel Oil Specifications(Section 13.3).
9. Close all of the drain cocks and fill the engine
cooling system with clean soft water and a rust
inhibitor. If the engine is to be exposed to freezing
temperatures, fill the cooling system with a high
boiling point type antifreeze solution (refer to
10. Install and connect the battery.
November, 1973 SEC. 15.3 Page 3