1. Insert a new filter, dimple end down, slotted
end up, in each of the fuel cavities in the top of
the injector body (Fig. 36).
Install a new filter in the inlet side (located
over the injector rack) in a fuel injector
with an offset body. No filter is required in
the outlet side of the offset body injector
2. Place a new gasket on each filter cap.
Lubricate the threads and install the filter caps.
Figure 35. Locator of Filter
Tighten the filter caps to 65-75 lb ft (88-102 Nm)
in Injector Body
torque with a 9/16-inch deep socket (Fig. 23).
3. Purge the filters after installation by directing
compressed air or fuel through the filter caps.
4. Install clean shipping caps on the filter caps
to prevent dirt from entering the injector.
Refer to Fig. 37 and note the drill spot marks on
the control rack and gear. Then proceed as
1. Hold the injector body, bottom end up, and
slide the rack through the hole in the body.
Look into the body bore and move the rack until
you can see the drill marks. Hold the rack in
2. Place the gear in the injector body so that
the marked tooth is engaged between the two
marked teeth on the rack (Fig. 37).
3. Place the gear retainer on top of the gear.
4. Align the locating pin in the bushing with the
slot in the injector body, then slide the end of
the bushing into place.
Figure 36. Details of Injector Filters and
Caps and Their Relative