Be sure the fuel injector is filled with fuel oil. If necessary, add clean fuel oil at the inlet filter cap until it runs
out of the outlet filter cap.
Install the injector in the engine as follows:
1. Refer to Fig. 6 and insert the injector into the injector tube with the dowel pin in the injector body registering
with the locating hole in the cylinder head.
2. Slide the injector rack control lever over so that it registers with the injector rack.
3. Install the injector clamp, special washer (with curved side toward injector clamp) and bolt. Tighten the bolt
to 20-25 lb ft (27-34 Nm) torque. Make sure that the clamp does not interfere with the injector follower spring or
Check the injector control rack for free movement. Excess torque can cause the control rack to stick or
4. Move the rocker arm assembly into position and secure the rocker arm brackets to the cylinder head by
tightening the bolts to the torque specified in Specification.
On four valve cylinder heads, there is a possibility of damaging the exhaust valves if the exhaust valve
bridge is not resting on the ends of the exhaust valves when tightening the rocker shaft bracket bolts.
Therefore, note the position of the exhaust valve bridge (Fig. 44) before, during, and after tightening the
rocker shaft bolts.
5. Remove the shipping caps. Then install the fuel pipes and connect them to the injector and the fuel connec-
tors. Use socket J 8932-01 to tighten the connections to 12-15 lb ft (16-20 Nm) torque.
Figure 44. Relationship Between Exhaust Valve Bridge and Valve Stems.