(1) Disconnect all leads and linkages connecting the transmission cover (3) with the engine and operating
(2) Remove the drain plug (25) on the bottom of the transmission case (19) and drain the oil from the
(4) Remove the transmission case cover mounting screws (2) and lockwashers (1).
(5) Lift up the transmission case cover and remove it from the transmission case (19).
(6) Remove and discard the transmission case cover gasket.
b. Cleaning. Wash the cover in cleaning solvent and dry it with clean compressed air. Use a stiff brush and cleaning
solvent to clean the top of the cover. Make sure that the linkage and shifting arms move freely and that they are free of dirt
and sludge. Blow off the ventilation and filler pipe holes with clean compressed air.
c. Inspection. Inspect the top cover assembly for breaks, cracks, and warpage. Replace the cover if it is badly
warped or twisted. Always use a new cover gasket when replacing the cover on the transmission case. Check all arms
and linkage on top of the cover for free operation and sufficient lubrication. Replace all damaged or worn parts.
(1) Coat the top of the transmission case with fast-drying gasket sealer and install a new transmission cover
(2) Position the cover (3) over the transmission case (19) and see that the mounting holes in the cover, gasket,
and case are properly alined.
(3) Make sure that the gearshift arm (4) shaft fits properly in the gearshift yoke in the transmission case.
(4) Install and tighten the mounting screws (2) and lockwashers (1).
(6) Check the forward and reverse clutches (18) for proper operation. Adjust the clutches if necessary (par.
(7) Install the transmission drain plug (25) and fill the transmission with oil. Check for leaks around the
transmission case gaskets.
(8) Check for oil leaks around the drain plug. Tighten the plug if necessary.
a. General. The gearshift fork assembly is removed from the top of the transmission case. The shaft bearings are
removed from the