(6) Remove the drain plug (25) on the bottom of the transmission case (19) and drain the oil from the
(7) Remove the bolts, nuts, and lockwashers attaching the bearing tube bracket (23) to the frame.
(8) Remove all bolts, nuts, and lockwashers attaching the transmission case (19) to the frame.
(9) Check to see that all mounting bolts are removed and that linkage and leads will not interfere with the
(10) Wrap steel cables around the transmission case (19) and first countershaft bearing tube (24). Lift up the
transmission about an inch to see that it is properly balanced and secure. Change the position of the cables
until the transmission is properly balanced. Remove the transmission from the road roller frame.
(11) Place the transmission on blocks in a location suitable for disassembly work. Make sure that the
transmission is properly blocked and secured.
b. Cleaning. Use a stiff brush and cleaning solvent to remove all dirt and grime from the outer surface of the
transmission case. Use scrapers to remove caked mud and sludge from all recesses in the transmission case casting.
Clean the transmission case cover and all levers. Remove all grease and sludge from the shifting parts.
c. Inspection. Inspect the transmission case for breaks and cracks. Check all gaskets and mounting surfaces for oil
leaks. Replace the transmission case if it is cracked or broken. Inspect the transmission case cover for breaks, cracks,
and warpage. Replace the cover if it is broken, cracked, or warped.
(1) Position the transmission case (19) over its mounting place on the frame and make sure that all mounting
holes are properly alined.
(2) Slowly lower the transmission until it rests with its full weight on the frame. Check to see that the mounting
holes in the transmission case (19), first countershaft bearing tube bracket (23), and frame are properly
(3) Install and tighten the bolts, nuts, and lockwashers attaching the transmission case to the frame.
(4) Install and tighten the bolts, nuts, and lockwashers attaching the first countershaft bearing tube bracket (23)
to the frame.
(5) Install the drain plug (25) and fill the transmission with oil.
(6) Install the engine (par. 175) and connect all linkages between the transmission, engine, and operating