(1) Tag the spark-,plug leads to insure their proper replacement.
(2) Unscrew the adapters from the magneto terminals and pull out the spark-plug leads (1).
(3) Remove the mounting screw (7) and lockwasher (6) attaching the governor (8) to the magneto (3).
(4) Remove the mounting screw (16) and lockwasher (15) on the bottom of the magneto (3).
(5) Remove the magneto (3) and gasket (14).
Shielded ignition leads
Governor bumper screw
Speed adjustment screw
Timing gear cover
Speed adjusting lever
spring tension adjusting screw
Screw, governor to magneto
Figure 34. Magneto removal points.
(1) The magneto must be properly timed with the engine before installation. To insure proper timing, remove the
No. 1 spark plug (nearest to the fan).
(2) Crank the engine slowly until the piston in the No. 1 cylinder is at top dead center on its compression stroke.
This dead center position can be determined by placing a thumb over the opening of the No. 1 spark plug
and cranking the engine slowly until a definite outward pressure is felt. Continue cranking slowly until the
notch marked "DC" on the flywheel is lined up with the marking on the flywheel housing.