DETROIT DIESEL 53
Connecting Rod 1.6.1
Fig. 4 - Removing or Installing Bushings
1. Clamp the upper end of the connecting rod in holder J 7632 (Fig. 4) so that the bore in the bushings is aligned with
the hole in the base of the holder..
2. Place the bushing remover J 4972-4 in the connecting rod bushing, insert handle J 1513-2 in the remover and drive
the bushings from the rod..
Fig. 6 - Position of Spray Nozzle Holes
Fig. 5 - Removing Spray Nozzle
Replace Spray Nozzle
The connecting rod bushings must be removed before the spray nozzle can be replaced. The orifice in the lower end of
the drilled passage in the connecting rod is not serviced and it is not necessary to remove it when replacing the spray
Replace the spray nozzle as follows:
1. Remove the connecting rod bushings (note Caution).
2. Insert spray nozzle remover J 8995 through the upper end of the connecting rod and insert the pin, in the curved side
of the tool, in the opening in the bottom of the spray nozzle..
3. Support the connecting rod and tool in an arbor press as shown in Fig. 5..
Fig. 7 - Location of Bushing Joint
April, 1974 SEC. 1.6.1 Page 3