1.3.5 Engine Front Cover (Lower)
DETROIT DIESEL 53
Fig. 3 - Installing Lower Engine Front Cover -- In-Line Engine
Install Engine Front Cover
Affix a new cover gasket to the cylinder block.
Install oil seal expander J 7454 over the front end of the crankshaft.
3. Thread two 3/8 "-16 pilot studs approximately 8" long into two diametrically opposite bolt holes in the cylinder block
4. Apply a light coat of cup grease to the lip of the oil seal. Slide the engine front cover over the oil seal expander and
pilot studs as shown in Fig. 3. Push the cover forward until the inner rotor of the oil pump contacts the pump drive gear
on the crankshaft. Rotate the crankshaft slightly to align the teeth, then push the cover up against the gasket and block.
Do not force the cover.
Remove the oil seal expander and pilot studs.
Refer to Fig. 1 and install the 3/8 "-16 bolts and lock washers. Tighten the bolts to 30-35 lb-ft torque.
7. Affix a new seal ring on the end of the lubricating oil pump inlet tube next to- the flange on an In-line engine. Attach
the flange or elbow to the front cover with bolts and lock washers. Tighten the bolts to 13-17 lb-ft torque.
8. Affix a new oil pan gasket to the bottom of the cylinder block, then install and secure the oil pan to the block with
bolts and lock washers. Tighten the bolts to 13-17 lb-ft torque.
10. Refer to Lubricating Oil Specifications in Section 13.3 and refill the crankcase to the proper level on the dipstick.