DETROIT DIESEL 53
ENGINE FRONT COVER (Upper)
4. Tap the cover and dowel pin assembly away from
The upper engine front cover is mounted against the
the cylinder block.
cylinder block at the upper front end of the engine.
5. Remove the Woodruff keys and oil seal spacers
from the shafts.
camshaft and balance shaft oil seals (In-line engine)
are pressed into the
6. Remove all traces of the old gasket material from
the cylinder block and cover.
When necessary, the oil seals may be removed without
removing the upper front cover. This may be done by
Check the oil seals and the spacers for wear or
drilling diametrically opposite holes in the seal casing
damage. Replace them if necessary.
and threading metal screws, backed by flat washers,
into the casing. Remove the seal by prying against the
washers with pry bars. Install the new seals with
installer J 9790.
If necessary, remove the engine cover as follows:
Remove Oil Seals
1. Remove the various parts and sub-assemblies from
1. Support the inner face of the cover on wood blocks
the engine as outlined in their respective sections of
at least one inch thick to protect the dowel pins in the
2. Remove the pulleys from the front end of the
2. Drive the oil seals out of the cover.
camshaft and balance shaft (In-line engine).
Refer to Section 1.7.2.
Install Oil Seals
3. Remove the upper front cover-to-cylinder block
1. Support the inner face of the cover on wood blocks.
2. If the outside diameter of the oil seal is not pre-
coated with sealant, coat the bore in the cover with
Fig. 2 In-Line Engine Upper Front Cover
SEC. 1.7.8 Page 1