DETROIT DIESEL 53
1.7.8 Front Cover
3. Position a new oil seal in the cover with the lip of
3. Apply cup grease to the outside diameter of the oil
the seal pointing toward the inner face of the cover.
seal spacers, then slide them on the shafts.
CAUTION Keep the lip of the oil seal clean and
NOTE: Current engines use an oil slinger
between the oil seal spacer and the shoulder on
free from scratches.
the camshaft and between the spacer and the
end hearing on the balance shaft (In-line
4. Press the seal into the cover with installer J 9790
engine). . Addition of the oil slinger improves
until the seal is flush with the bottom of the
sealing by reducing the amount of oil in the
area of the oil seals.
5. Install the second oil seal in the same manner.
If oil slingers are installed on in-line engines built
prior to Serial Number
6. Remove excess sealant from the cover and the seals.
check the distance from the holes to the gasket flange
(Fig. 2). If necessary, machine or grind the cover to
provide sufficient clearance for the slingers.
4. Install a Woodruff key in each shaft.
1. Affix a new gasket the cover
5. Install the pulleys on the shafts.
2. Install the cover on the engine and secure it with
6. Install and tighten the pulley retaining nuts to 300-
bolt\ and lock washers. Tighten the bolts to 35 lb-ft