DETROIT DIESEL 53
8. Release the tool and install the valve locks on the
remaining exhaust valves in the same manner.
9. Check the position of the exhaust valve (Fig. 11).
10. With the exhaust valves installed in the cylinder
head, use spring checking gage WRE -500-60 and note
the gage reading the moment the exhaust valve starts
to open (Fig. 16). The minimum pressure required to
start to open the exhaust valve must not be less than
for a four valve cylinder head.
11. Install the injectors, rocker arms, shafts, brackets
and any other parts that were previously removed
from the cylinder head.
12. Install the cylinder head. Refer to Pre-Installation
Inspection and Install Cylinder Head in Section 1.2.
13. Perform a complete engine tune-up.
Fig. 16 - Checking Valve Opening Pressure
with Gage WRE-500-60
SEC. 1.2.2 Page 9