DETROIT DIESEL 53
19. Remove the crankshaft, including the timing gear
5. Remove all of the accessories and assemblies with
their attaching parts as necessary to permit the engine
to be mounted on an overhaul stand.
20. Refer to Section 1.7.5 for removal of the
crankshaft timing gear and Section 4.1 for the
6. Mount the engine on an overhaul stand and fasten
procedure covering removal of the oil pump drive
it securely to the mounting plate.
CAUTION: Be absolutely sure the engine is
securely attached to the stand before releasing
the lifting sling. Severe injury to personnel and
destruction of engine parts will result if the
engine breaks away from the stand.
Remove the oil pan.
8. Remove the oil pump inlet pipe and screen.
9. Remove the flywheel and flywheel housing.
10. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
11. Remove the front engine support.
12. Remove the engine lower front cover and oil pump
13. Remove the cylinder head(s).
15. Remove the connecting rod bearing caps.
16. Remove the main bearing caps.
17. Remove the thrust washers from each side of the
rear main bearing.
Fig. 3 Removing or Installing Crankshaft
18. Remove the pistons, connecting rods and liners.