ENGINE FRONT COVER (Upper)
The upper engine front cover is mounted against the cylinder block at the upper front end of the engine. The
camshaft and balance shaft oil seals (in-line engine) or camshaft oil seals are pressed into the cover.
When necessary, the oil seals may be removed without removing the upper front cover. This may be done by
drilling diametrically opposite holes in the seal casing and threading metal screws, backed by flat washers, into
the casing. Remove the seal by prying against the washers with pry bars. Install the new seals with installer J
If necessary, remove the engine cover as follows:
1. Remove the various parts and subassemblies from the engine as outlined in their respective sections
of this manual.
2. Remove the pulleys from the front end of the camshaft and balance shaft. Refer to Camshaft and
3. Remove the upper front cover-to cylinder block attaching bolts.
4. Tap the cover and dowel pin assembly away from the cylinder block.
5. Remove the woodruff keys and oil seal spacers from the shafts.
6. Remove all traces of the old gasket material from the cylinder block and cover.
Check the oil seals and the spacers for wear or damage. Replace them. if necessary.
Remove Oil Seals
1. Support the inner face of the cover on woodblocks at least 1 inch thick to protect the dowel pins in the
2. Drive the oil seals out of the cover.
Instail Oil Seals
1. Support the inner face of the cover on woodblocks.
2. If the outside diameter of the oil seal is not precoated with sealant, coat the bore in the cover with
3. Position a new oil seal in the cover with the lip of the seal pointing toward the inner face of the cover.
Keep the lip of the oil seal clean and free from scratches.
4. Press the seal into the cover with installer J 9790 until the seal is flush with the bottom of the
5. Install the second oil seal in the same manner.
6. Remove excess sealant from the cover and the seals.
1. Affix a new gasket to the cover.
2. Install the cover on the engine and secure it with bolts and lockwashers. Tighten the bolts to 35 lb ft (47