(13) Remove each bearing cap (35, 36, 45, and 47) and bearing shell (18, 6, and 5) separately. Keep each
bearing shell with the proper bearing cap.
(14) Lift out and remove the crankshaft (19). Crankshaft removal is shown iii figure 90.
(15) Remove the upper bearing shells (18, 6, and 5, fig. 82) from the crankcase and lay them with their
respective bearing caps and lower shells.
(1) Use a crankshaft gear puller to remove the crankshaft gear (25, fig. 82).
(2) Remove the crankshaft gear key (26).
(3) Remove the oil thrower (24).
Intermediate rear main bearing
Intermediate front main bearing
Bearing cap screw
Rear main bearing cap
Front main bearing cap
Intermediate rear main bearing cap
Figure 90. Crankshaft removal.
(4) Remove the thrust shims (23 and 22). There are 7 shims (23) 0.008 inch thick and 4 shims (22) 0.002 inch
(5) Remove the thrust plate (21) and front thrust washer (20).
d. Cleaning. Blow out all oil passages in the crankshaft with clean compressed air. Probe the passages to remove
all accumulated carbon, sludge, and foreign matter. Wash the oil passages with cleaning solvent and dry them with clean
compressed air. Wash the bearing cap screws in cleaning solvent and clean the threads with a stiff wire brush.