DETROIT DIESEL 53
PROCEDURE FOR RESTORING AN ENGINE TO SERVICE WHICH HAS BEEN IN EXTENDED STORAGE
1. Remove the valve rocker cover(s) and pour at least one-half gallon of oil, of the same grade as used in the
crankcase, over the rocker arms and push rods.
2. Reinstall the valve rocker cover(s).
3. Remove the covers and tape from all of the openings of the engine, fuel tank and electrical equipment. Do not
4. Wash the exterior of the engine with fuel oil to remove the rust preventive.
5. Remove the rust preventive from the flywheel.
6. Remove the paper strips from between the pulleys and the belts.
7. Check the crankcase oil level. Fill the crankcase to the proper level with the heavy-duty lubricating oil
8. Fill the fuel tank with the fuel specified under Diesel Fuel Oil Specifications(Section 13.3).
9. Close all of the drain cocks and fill the engine cooling system with clean soft water and a rust inhibitor. If the engine
is to be exposed to freezing temperatures, fill the cooling system with a high boiling point type antifreeze solution (refer to
10. Install and connect the battery.
11. Service the air cleaner as outlined in Section 3.1.
November, 1973 SEC. 15.3