DETROIT DIESEL 53
Limiting Speed Governor 14.3.1
3. Hold the high speed spring retainer and
tighten the lock nut.
Fig. 4 - Governor Spring Assemblies
Adjust Idle Speed
With the maximum no-load speed properly adjusted, the idle
speed may be adjusted as follows:
1. With the engine running at normal operating temperature and
with the buffer screw backed out to avoid contact with the
differential lever, turn the idle speed adjusting screw (Fig. 5) until
the engine idles at the recommended idle speed.
The recommended idle speed is 500-600 rpm, but may vary with
the particular engine application.
2. Hold the idle speed adjusting screw and tighten the lock nut.
3. Install the high speed spring cover and tighten the two bolts.
Adjust Buffer Screw
With the idle speed properly set, adjust the buffer screw as follows:
1. With the engine running at normal operating
Fig. 3 - Adjusting Maximum No-Load Engine