DETROIT DIESEL 53
LIMITING SPEED GOVERNOR 2.7.1
7. Install the high speed weights in the same way. The high speed weights are identified by the long cam
arm and three center laminations; the middle lamination is 3/16" thick and the outer ones are 1/8" thick.
NOTE: The weight pins must be reinstalled in the same positions
from which they were removed.
8. Slide the shaft and weight assembly into the weight housing with the riser bearing placed behind the fork.
9. Turn the bearing retainer until the large opening is over the fork on the operating shaft. Tighten the two
screws holding the fork to the operating shaft with a 5/16" socket wrench.
10. Turn the bearing retainer until the counterbored hole in the retainer and housing line up. Install the screw
to secure the bearing retainer to the weight housing.
11. Place the drive gear spacer on the shaft. Install the key in the keyway and place the gear on the shaft.
12. Tap the gear until the spacer is against the bearing. Install the drive gear retaining nut and
tighten it to 125-135 lb-ft torque.
Refer to Fig. I and install the governor on the engine as follows:
1. Attach the fuel rod to the differential lever and secure it in place with a washer and spring pin.
2. Attach a new gasket to the governor weight housing.
3. Insert the end of the fuel rod through the hose and clamps and into the opening in the cylinder head and
position the governor weight housing against the engine rear end plate; the teeth on the governor drive gear
must mesh with the teeth on the camshaft gear or balance shaft gear.
4. Install the three 12-point head bolts with copper washers in the governor weight housing next to the
cylinder block. Install the two remaining bolts with steel washers and lock washers. Tighten the bolts to 35
5. Install the two governor control housing attaching bolts and lock washers. Tighten the bolts to 10-12 lb-ft
6. On current engines, install the lubricating oil line and fittings to the weight housing and the cylinder
7. Align and tighten the hose clamps on the fuel rod covers.
8. Attach the fuel rod to the injector control tube lever with a pin and cotter pin.
9. Assemble the industrial governor spring mechanism as follows:
a. Thread the spring retainer lock nut on the retainer.
b. Thread the idle speed adjusting screw on the governor spring plunger.
c. Place the high speed spring over the governor spring plunger.
d. Lubricate and install the spring plunger assembly in the spring retainer and secure it with a lock
nut so that approximately 1/4" of the idle speed adjusting screw extends beyond the nut.
e. Lubricate and insert the spring seat, low speed spring and the spring cap in the open end of the
10. Thread the spring retainer and spring assembly into the governor housing and tighten the lock nut finger
tight until an engine tune-up is performed.
11. Assemble the vehicle governor spring mechanism as follows:
a. Back off the lock nut at the outer end of the adjusting screw to within 1/16" of the slotted end of
b. Slip the shims, if used, and the high speed spring over the plunger. Position the retainer over the
high speed spring and insert the adjusting screw into the plunger.
c. Position the seat and cap on the ends of the low speed spring and insert the assembly into the
hollow end of the plunger.
d. Insert the spring and plunger assembly into the control housing and tighten the retainer nut with
spanner wrench J 5895.
12. Thread the spring retainer and spring assembly into the governor; the lock nut should be finger tight until
an engine tune-up is performed.