DETROIT DIESEL 53
LIMITING SPEED GOVERNOR 2.7.1
2. Remove the retaining ring and washer.
speed control shaft from the cover.
3. Remove the seal ring from the cover.
NOTE: The double lever cover has the seal ring at the
bottom of the cover.
4. Loosen the governor stop lever retaining bolt and lift the
lever from the stop lever shaft.
5. Remove the retaining ring and washers and withdraw the
stop lever shaft from the cover.
6. Remove the seal ring from the top of the cover.
Disassemble Governor Weight Housing
Fig. 4 · Removing Fork from Operating Shaft
1. Remove the gear retaining nut from the shaft, then
remove the gear, key and spacer from the shaft.
2. Remove the small screw holding the bearing retainer in
3. Turn the bearing support until the large opening is
centered over the fork on the operating shaft.
4. Lift up on the weight shaft until there is enough clearance
for a 5/16" socket wrench to be placed on
the screws that hold the fork to the operating shaft (Fig. 4). Then remove the two screws and washers.
5.Lift the shaft and weight assembly out of the governor weight housing.
6.Remove the screw and washers holding the bearing in the control housing and lift the shaft assembly out of
7.Place a rod approximately 18" long through the control housing and knock the plug out of the bottom of the
8.Remove the snap ring and press the bearing from the weight housing.
9.Remove the spring clip and washer from the governor
operating shaft lever and remove the governor
10.Press the bearing and operating shaft lever from the
operating shaft, if necessary.
11.If necessary, disassemble the control housing from
the weight housing.
Disassemble Weight Shaft Assembly
1. Press the bearing retainer from the weight shaft.
If necessary, remove the snap ring and press
the bearing from the bearing retainer.
Remove the weight pin retainers from the
governor weight pins, then drive the pins out of the
carrier and weights. Remove the governor weights.
Fig. 3. Industrial Type Governor Assembly
April, 1971 SEC. 2.7.1