1. 7. 8
DETROIT DIESEL 53
3. Position a new oil seal in the cover with the lip of the seal pointing toward the inner face of the cover.
CAUTION: Keep the lip of the oil seal clean and free from scratches.
4. Press the seal into the cover with installer J 9790 until the seal is flush with the bottom of the counterbore.
5. Install the second oil seal in the same manner.
6. Remove excess sealant from the cover and the seals.
1. Affix a new gasket to the cover.
2. Install the cover on the engine and secure it with bolts and lock washers. Tighten the bolts to 35 lb-ft torque.
3. Apply cup grease to the outside diameter of the oil seal spacers, then slide them on the shafts.
NOTE: Current engines use an oil slinger between the oil seal spacer and the shoulder on the camshaft and
between the spacer and the end bearing on the balance shaft (In-line engine). Addition of the oil slinger
improves sealing by reducing the amount of oil in the area of the oil seals.
If oil slingers are installed on in-line engines built prior to Serial Number 3D-573 check the distance from the holes to the
gasket flange (Fig. 2). If necessary, machine or grind the cover to provide sufficient clearance for the slingers.
4. Install a Woodruff key in each shaft.
5. Install the pulleys on the shafts.
6. Install and tighten the pulley retaining nuts to 300- 325 lb-ft torque.