DETROIT DIESEL 53
Gear Train and Timing 1.7.1
10. Scribe a line on the crankshaft pulley in line with the end of the pointer.
11. Slowly turn the crankshaft, opposite the direction of rotation, until the indicator hand stops moving.
12. Continue to turn the crankshaft, opposite the direction of rotation, until the indicator starts to move again.
Now set the indicator on zero and continue to turn the crankshaft until the indicator reading is .010".
13. Scribe the second line on the crankshaft pulley in line with the end of the pointer.
14. Scribe a third line on the pulley half way between the first two lines. This is top dead center.
NOTE: If the crankshaft pulley retaining bolt loosened up, tighten it to the
15. Remove the dial indicator and rod from the engine.
16. Install the injector as outlined in Section 2.1 or 2.1.1. Then, refer to Section 14 and adjust the exhaust
valve clearance and time the fuel injector.
17. Turn the crankshaft, in the direction of rotation, until the exhaust valves in the cylinder selected are
completely open. Reinstall the dial indicator so the indicator spindle rests on the top of the injector follower.
Then, set the indicator on zero. Next turn the crankshaft slowly, in the direction of rotation, until the center
mark on the pulley is in line with the pointer.
18. Check the front end of the camshaft for an identification mark. For identification purposes, a letter "V" is
stamped on each end of a low velocity camshaft; but a letter "V" is not stamped on a high velocity camshaft.
Note the indicator reading and compare it with the dimensions listed in Table I for the particular camshaft in the
19. Remove the dial indicator; also remove the pointer attached to the front of the engine.
20. Install the valve rocker cover.
February, 1972 SEC. 1.7.1 Page 5