DETROIT DIESEL 53
FUEL INJECTOR TIMING
Fig. 1 - Timing Fuel Injector
To time an injector properly, the injector follower
INJECTOR TIMING GAGE CHART
must be adjusted to a definite height in relation to the
bolt at the front of the engine, do not turn the
crankshaft in a left-hand direction of rotation
All of the injectors can be timed in firing order
or the bolt may be loosened.
sequence during one full revolution of the crankshaft.
Refer to the General Specifications at the front of the
3. Place the small end of the injector timing gage
manual for the engine firing order.
(refer to the chart for the correct timing gage) in the
hole provided in the top of the injector body, with the
flat of the gage toward the injector follower (Fig. 1).
Time Fuel Injector
4. Loosen the injector rocker arm push rod lock nut.
5. Turn the push rod and adjust the injector rocker
After the exhaust valve clearance has been adjusted
arm until the extended part of the gage will just pass
(Section 14.1), time the fuel injectors as follows:
over the top of the injector follower.
1. Place the governor speed control lever in the idle
6. Hold the push rod and tighten the lock nut. Check
speed position. If a stop lever is provided, secure it in
the adjustment and, if necessary, readjust the push
the stop position.
2. Rotate the crankshaft, manually or with the starting
7. Time the remaining injectors in the same manner as
motor, until the exhaust valves are fully depressed on
the particular cylinder to be timed.
8. If no further engine tune-up is required, install the
valve rocker cover, using a new gasket.
CAUTION: If a wrench is used on the crankshaft
SEC. 14.2 Page 1