DETROIT DIESEL 53
Battery-Charging Generator 7.1
3. While supporting the generator. remove the
adjusting strap bolt and washers and the mounting
bolts, washers and nuts. Then remove the generator.
4. Remove the pulley assembly if the generator is to be
1. Install the generator drive pulley, if it was removed.
Tighten the pulley retaining nut to 60 lb-ft torque.
NOTE: If the pulley was not removed. check the
retaining nut for proper torque.
2. Position the generator on the mounting brackets
and start the bolts. with lock washers, through the bolt
holes in the generator end frames. If nuts are used.
insert the bolts through the bolt holes and then install
the lock washers and nuts.
3. Align the threaded hole in the extension ear of the
drive end frame with the slot in the adjusting strap.
Start the bolt. with the loch washer and plain washer.
through the slot of the adjusting strap and into the
threaded hole in the generator end frame.
4. Place the drive belts in the grooves of the pulleys
5. Adjust the generator belt tension as outlined in
6. Attach the wires and cables. Be sure that each one is
correctly installed in accordance with its previous
location on the generator. Keep all connections clean
Precautions must be taken when working on or around
alternator circuit are very sensitive and can he easily
Avoid grounding or shorting the output wires or the
field wires between the generator and the regulator
Grounding an A.C. generator s output wire or
terminals. which are always "hot" regardless of
whether or not the engine is running, or accidental
reversing of the battery polarity will destroy the
diodes. Grounding the field circuit will also result in
the destruction of the diodes. Some voltage regulators
provide protection against come of these curium-
stances. However, it is recommended that extreme
caution be used.
May, 1971 SEC. 7.1 Page 3