DETROIT DIESEL 53
E X H A U S T MANIFOLD (AIR COOLED)
5. Remove the manifold and gasket from the cylinder
has an outlet to accommodate a square exhaust outlet
flange (Fig. 1)
flanges (square) and flange gaskets have SAE standard
Remove any loose scale and carbon that may have
accumulated on the internal walls of the exhaust
manifold. Clean the manifold and check for cracks,
especially in the holding lug areas.
Clean all traces of gasket material from the cylinder
Examine the exhaust manifold studs. Replace dam-
aged studs. Apply sealant to the threads and drive new
Remove Exhaust Manifold
studs to 25-40 lb-ft torque (1.40" to 1.50" height).
1. Disconnect the exhaust pipe or muffler from the
exhaust manifold flange.
Install Exhaust Manifold
1. Place a new gasket over the studs and against the
2. Position the exhaust manifold over the studs and
3. Loosen, but do not remove, one of the center
hold it against the cylinder head.
exhaust manifold nuts. Remove the other nuts and
3. Install the washers and nuts on the studs. If beveled
(dished) washers are used, position them so that the
crown side faces the nut.
4. Support the manifold and remove the center nut
Fig. 1 - Typical Air-Cooled Exhaust Manifold (Square Flange) Mounting
October. 1970 SEC. 6.1 Page 1