5.7 Water Filter and Conditioner
DETROIT DIESEL 53
The current water filter Includes a non-chromate type
5. Remove the sludge and sediment and wash the
element. This element can be used in place of either of
sump and filter body. Dry it thoroughly with
the former water filter elements (permanent type anti-
freeze or pIain water type) and thus provides year
around cooling system protection. The current and the
6. Replace the drain plug, if removed, in the bottom of
former water filter elements are completely inter-
changeable in t h e former filter can (refer to
7. Insert the new element.
Replace the element and service the water filter and
8. Use a new filter cover gasket, install the filter cover,
conditioner as follows:
and tighten the bolts evenly.
1. Close the water filter inlet and outlet shut-off valves.
9. Open the inlet and outlet lines by opening the shut-
If shut-off valves are not provided, vise grip pliers can
off valves or removing the vise grip plier clamps.
be used to clamp each hose closed during the filter
10. Operate the engine and check for leaks. The top of
the filter and the outlet line should feel warm to the
2. Remove the filter cover-to-filter body bolts.
touch with the rise in coolant temperature. If not,
disconnect the filter outlet line at the end opposite the
3. Remove and discard the element.
filter connection to bleed the air from the system and
4. Remove and discard the corrosion resistor plates, if
reconnect the line. Use caution to minimize coolant
the former type filter is used.