Water Pump 5.1
DETROIT DIESEL 53
Fig. 6 Fresh Water Pump Details
and Relative Location of Parts
2. Secure the water pump to the oil cooler housing with
4. Place the pulley on the bed of an arbor press. Place
the five bolts and lock washers.
a suitable rod between the ram of the press and the
impeller end of the shaft, then press the shaft into the
3. Install the hose between the water pump and water
pulley until the pulley is in its original position on the
by-pass tube and tighten the hose clamps.
5. Install the cover and a new gasket on the pump
4. Install and tighten the belts.
body. Tighten the cover bolts to 6-7 lb-ft torque.
NOTE: An idler pulley is used on some engines
6. Run the pump dry at 1200 rpm for a minimum of
to adjust the water pump drive belt tension.
30 seconds, or as required, to assure satisfactory
seating of the seal.
5. Close all of the drain cocks and refill the cooling
Install Water Pump
1. Affix a new gasket to the flange of the water pump
6. Start the engine and check for leaks
FRESH WATER PUMP WITH CERAMIC INSERT IN IMPELLER
Inspect the ceramic insert for cracks. scratches and
Elective with engine serial number
bond to the Impeller. If the insert is damaged, it may
be replaced in the foIlowing manner:
water pump assemblies used on Series 53 engines
include an impeller and ceramic insert combination
1. Bake the used ceramic insert and impeller assemble
(Figs. 7 and 8). Disassembly and assembly of the
at 500°F. for one hour to remove the ceramic insert.
current water pump is the same as the former water
The ceramic insert can be removed easily from the
pump except as follows:
counterbore while the adhesive is hot. Wire brush the
impeller bond area to remove the old adhesive, oxide,
When removing the impeller protect the ceramic insert
from damage at all times during pump overhaul.
2. Wipe the impeller bond area and the grooved side
Always lay the impeller on the bench with the ceramic
of the new ceramic insert with a cloth soaked in a
insert up to prevent damage to the insert.
October. 1970 SEC. 5.1 Page 3