DETROIT DIESEL 53
3. Install the lower engine front cover and pump
engine front cover
assembly on the engine as outlined in Section 1.3.5.
and secure them with the two bolts and lock
4. Attach the oil inlet screen to the oil inlet pipe
CAUTION: On In-line engines, the oil pump
inlet tube and water by-pass tube seals are the
and lock washers (Fig. 9).
same size but of different material. Be sure that
the correct seal is used. A new oil pump inlet
tube seal may be identified by its white stripe.
8. Install the oil pan and refill the crankcase to the
6. Place the oil pump inlet pipe and screen assembly in
position and fasten the support to the main bearing
9. Install the crankshaft pulley, fan pulley. support
cap with the two bolts and lock washers.
bracket and any other accessories that were attached to
the front cover.
7. Slide the inlet pipe flange and seal ring against the
SEC. 4.1 Page 5