Fig. 8 - Installing Oil Pump Drive Gear
fit (slip torque) be checked with tool J 23126. On In-
Fig. 7 - Removing Oil Pump Drive Gear
engines, the drive gear should not slip on
the crankshaft at 100 lb-ft torque.
pump body. Since the holes are offset, the cover plate
can be installed in only one position.
CAUTION: Do not exceed these torques. If the
4. Install two new drive screws to hold the assembly
gear slips on the shaft, it is suggested that
another oil pump drive gear be installed.
Remove pump Drive Gear From Crankshaft
lnstall Oil Pump
With the lower engine front cover and the lubricating
1. The markings on the pump body indicate the
oil pump removed from the engine, the oil pump drive
installation as pertaining to left or right-hand
gear may, if necessary, be removed from the end of
crankshaft rotation. Be sure that the letters "UP R.H."
the crankshaft as follows:
(right-hand rotation engine)
on the pump body are at the top
1. Thread the crankshaft pulley retaining bolt in the
end of the crankshaft (Fig. 7).
2. Attach the jaws of a suitable gear puller behind the
2. Insert the six bolts with lock washers (if used)
gear and locate the end of the puller screw in the
through the pump body and thread them into the
center of the pulley retaining bolt.
engine front cover. Tighten the bolts to 13-17 lb-ft
3. Turn the puller screw clockwise to remove the gear
from the crankshaft.
Install Pump Drive Gear on Crankshaft
1. Lubricate the inside diameter of a new oil pump
drive gear with engine oil. Then start the gear straight
on the crankshaft. Re-installation of a used gear is not
2. Position the drive gear installer J 8968-01 over the
end of the crankshaft and against the drive gear and
force the gear in place as shown in Fig. 8. When the
end of the bore in the tool contacts the end of the
crankshaft, the drive gear is correctly positioned.
Fig. 9 - Oil Pump Inlet Pipe and Screen
3. It is important that the press fit of the drive gear to
Details and Relative Location of Parts (In-Line
the crankshaft be checked to be sure that the gear does
not slip on the crankshaft. It is recommended the press