DETROIT DIESEL 53
3.3 Air Shut-down Housing
2. Install a new seal ring at each end of the shaft. Be
sure the seals are seated in the counterbores of the
3. Install the cam and cam pin handle on the shaft.
4. Install a washer and retaining pin at the other end
of the shaft.
5. Assemble the spacer (bushing), spring and latch to
the shut-down housing with the 1/4" -20 bolt, lock
washer and plain washer.
a. Align the notch on the bushing with the notch on
the latch and lock the bushing in this position.
b. Install the pins in the valve(s) to retain it to the
Fig. 2 - lnstalling Air Shut-Off Valve Spring
shaft with the cam release latch set and the
valve(s) in the run position.
Assemble Air Shut-Down Assembly
C. Level the valve(s) in the shut-down position.
The holes for the cam pin handle and the retaining
pins must be drilled, using a 1/8" diameter drill, at
the time a new service shaft or air shut-off valve(s) is
d. Adjust the bushing so the valve(s) contacts the
assembled. The valve(s) must be in the same plane
housing when the cam release latch is set.
within .03" when in the stop position (flush with the
housing face). Refer to Figs. 1 and 2 and proceed as
Install Air Shut-Down Housing (In-Line
1. Place the valve(s) and spring in position in the
housing (Fig. 2) and slip the shaft in place. The shaft
1. Place the blower screen and gasket assembly in
must extend .70" from the side of the housing where
position with the screen side of the assembly toward
the shut-down latch is assembled.
2. Refer to Figs. 1 and 3 and secure the air shut-down
housing to the blower with bolts, washers and lock
washers as follows:
Fig. 3 Location of Air Shut-Down Housing
Mounting Bolts (In-Line Engines)