DETROIT DIESEL 53
2.7.1 Limiting Speed Governor
and fittings to the weight housing and the cylinder
7. Install the high speed weights in the same way. The
high speed weights are identified by the long cam arm
and three center laminations; the middle lamination is
7. Align and tighten the hose clamps on the fuel rod
3/16 " thick and the outer ones are 1/8 " thick.
NOTE: The weight pins must be reinstalled in
the same positions from which they were
8. Attach the fuel rod to the injector control tube lever
with a pin and cotter pin.
9. Assemble the industrial governor spring mechanism
8. Slide the shaft and weight assembly into the weight
housing with the riser bearing placed behind the fork.
a. Thread the spring retainer lock nut on the
9. Turn the bearing retainer until the large opening is
over the fork on the operating shaft. Tighten the two
screws holding the fork to the operating shaft with a
b. Thread the idle speed adjusting screw on the
5/16 " socket wrench.
governor spring plunger.
10. Turn the bearing retainer until the counterbored
c. Place the high speed spring over the governor
hole in the retainer and housing line up. Install the
screw to secure the bearing retainer to the weight
d. Lubricate and install the spring plunger assembly
in the spring retainer and secure it with a lock nut
11. Place the drive gear spacer on the shaft. Install the
so that approximately 1/4 " of the idle speed
key in the keyway and place the gear on the shaft.
adjusting screw extends beyond the nut
12. Tap the gear until the spacer is against the
e. Lubricate and insert the spring seat, low speed
bearing. Install the drive gear retaining nut and
spring and the spring cap in the open end of the
tighten it to 125-135 lb-ft torque.
10. Thread the spring retainer and spring assembly
into the governor housing and tighten the lock nut
Refer to Fig. 1 and install the governor on the engine
finger tight until an engine tune-up is performed.
11. Assemble the vehicle governor spring mechanism
1. Attach the fuel rod to the differential lever and
secure it in place with a washer and spring pin.
2. Attach a new gasket to the governor weight housing.
a. Back off the lock nut at the outer end of the
adjusting screw to within 1/16 " of the slotted end
3. Insert the end of the fuel rod through the hose and
of the screw.
clamps and into the opening in the cylinder head and
position the governor weight housing against the
b. Slip the shims, if used, and the high speed spring
engine rear end plate; the teeth on the governor drive
over the plunger. Position the retainer over the
gear must mesh with the teeth on the camshaft gear or
high speed spring and insert the adjusting screw
balance shaft gear.
into the plunger.
c. Position the seat and cap on the ends of the low
4. Install the three 12-point head bolts with copper
speed spring and insert the assembly into the
washers in the governor weight housing next to the
hollow end of the plunger.
cylinder block. Install the two remaining bolts with
steel washers and lock washers. Tighten the bolts to 35
d Insert the spring and plunger assembly into the
control housing and tighten the retainer nut with
spanner wrench J 5895.
5. Install the two governor control housing attaching
bolts and lock washers. Tighten the bolts to 10-12 lb-ft
12. Thread the spring retainer and spring assembly
into the governor; the lock nut should be finger tight
6. On current engines, install the lubricating oil line
until an engine tune-up is performed.