Limiting Speed Governor 2.7.1
DETROIT DIESEL 53
2. Remove the retaining ring and washer. Withdraw
the speed control shaft from the cover.
3. Remove the seal ring from the cover.
The double lever cover
has the seal ring at the bottom of the cover.
4. Loosen the governor stop lever retaining bolt and
lift the lever from the stop lever shaft.
5. Remove the retaining ring and washers and
withdraw the stop lever shaft from the cover.
6. Remove the seal ring from the top of the cover.
Disassemble Governor Weight Housing
Fig. 4 Removing Fork from Operating Shaft
1. Remove the gear retaining nut from the shaft, then
remove the gear, key and spacer from the shaft.
the screws that hold the fork to the operating shaft
(Fig. 4). Then remove the two screws and washers.
2. Remove the small screw holding the bearing
retainer in place.
5. Lift the shaft and weight assembly out of the
governor weight housing.
3. Turn the bearing support until the large opening is
centered over the fork on the operating shaft.
6. Remove the screw and washers holding the bearing
in the control housing and lift the shaft assembly out
4. Lift up on the weight shaft until there is enough
of the housing.
clearance for a 5/16 " socket wrench to be placed on
7. Place a rod approximately 18 " long through the
control housing and knock the plug out of the bottom
of the weight housing.
8. Remove the snap ring and press the bearing from
the weight housing.
9. Remove the spring clip and washer from the
governor operating shaft lever and remove the
governor differential lever.
10. Press the bearing and operating shaft lever from
the operating shaft, if necessary.
11. If necessary, disassemble the control housing from
the weight housing.
Disassemble Weight Shaft Assembly
1. Press the bearing retainer from the weight shaft.
2. If necessary, remove the snap ring and press the
bearing from the bearing retainer.
3. Remove the weight pin retainers from the governor
weight pins, then drove the pins out of the carrier and
weights. Remove the governor weights.
Type Governor Assembly
April, 1971 SEC. 2.7.1 Page 3