2.7.1 Limiting Speed Governor
DETROIT DIESEL 53
within the governor by the revolving weights. Surplus
oil drains from the governor through holes in the
governor bearing retainer back to the engine gear
Remove Governor from Engine
Before removing the governor from the engine, the
o p e r a t i o n should be checked as outlined in
Section 2.7. If the governor fails to control the engine
properly after performing these checks, remove and
1. Disconnect the linkage to the governor control
2. Remove the governor cover and gasket.
3. Detach the spring housing from the governor
housing by removing the two bolts and lock washers.
4. Loosen the high speed spring retainer lock nut with
spanner wrench J 5345-5 and remove the spring
Fig. 2 Governor Cover Details and Relative
Location of Parts
5. Loosen the fuel rod cover hose clamps.
Adjustment of the engine idle speed is accomplished
by changing the force on the low speed spring by
6. Clean and remove the rocker cover from the
means of the idle speed adjusting screw. Refer to the
tune-up section for idle speed adjustment.
7. Disconnect the fuel rod from the injector control
The engine maximum no-load speed is determined by
tube lever. Remove the clip that holds the fuel rod to
the force exerted by the high speed spring. When the
the differential lever and lift the fuel rod from the
throttle control lever is placed in the maximum speed
position the engine will operate at a speed where the
force exerted by the governor high speed weights will
8. Detach the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel
equal the force exerted by the governor high speed
lines and removing the three bolts. Also, disconnect
the lubricating oil line, if used.
Adjustment of the maximum no-load speed is
9. Remove the five bolts from the governor weight
accomplished by changing the tension on the high
housing and the two bolts from the governor control
speed spring. Refer to the tune-up section for the
maximum no-load speed adjustment.
10. Detach the governor and gasket from the engine.
Disassemble Governor Cover
The governor is lubricated by oil splash from the
1. Remove the return spring and clip from a single
engine gear train and by a pressure line on current
lever cover only, then loosen the governor speed
engine models. The oil passes through the governor
weight housing on to the shaft and weight assemblies.
control lever retaining bolt and lift the control lever
The oil is distributed to the various moving parts
from the speed control shaft (Fig. 2).