DETROIT DIESEL 53
Fuel Pump 2.2
6. Lubricate the gears and shafts with clean engine oil.
7. Apply a thin coating of quality sealant on the face
of the pump cover outside of the gear pocket area.
Then, place the cover against the pump body with the
two dowel pins in the cover entering the holes in the
pump body. The cover can be installed in only one
position over the two shafts.
CAUTION: The coating of sealant must be
extremely thin since the pump clearances have
been set up on the basis of metal-to-metal
contact. Too much sealant could increase the
clearances and affect the efficiency of the pump.
Use care that sealant is not squeezed into the
gear compartment, otherwise damage to the
gears and shafts may result.
8. Secure the cover in place with eight bolts and lock
washers, tightening the bolts alternately and evenly.
Inserting Fuel Pump Drive Shaft and
Gear Assembly through Oil Seals
9. After assembly, rotate the pump shaft by hand to
make certain that the parts rotate freely. When the
shaft does not rotate freely, attempt to free it by
tapping a corner of the pump.
10. If the pump is not to be used immediately, place
plastic shipping plugs in the inlet and outlet openings
to prevent dirt or other foreign material from entering
Install Fuel Pump
1. Affix a new gasket to the pump body and locate the
pump drive coupling over the square end of the fuel
pump drive shaft.
2. Install the fuel pump on the engine and secure it
with three bolt and washer assemblies.
3. Connect the inlet and outlet fuel lines to the fuel
Fig. 7 - Installing Outer Oil Seal
SEC. 2.2 Page 5