DETROIT DIESEL 53
plates (if used) to the gears, then remove the retainer
7. Wedge a clean rag between the gears as shown in
Fig. 1; then, remove the nuts from each end of both
shafts with a socket wrench.
8. Remove the balance weights from the front end of
the shafts as outlined in Section 1.7.
9. Remove the
10. Remove the oil slinger from the front end of both
11. Remove the two retaining bolts that secure the
camshaft or balance shaft thrust washer to the cylinder
block by inserting a socket wrench through a hole in
the web of the gear as shown in Fig. 2.
12. Withdraw the shaft, thrust washer and gear as an
assembly from the rear end of the cylinder block.
Disassemble Camshaft or Balance Shaft
1. Remove the gear from the shaft. Refer to
2. Remove the end plugs from the camshaft, to
Fig. 3 Removing End Bearing
facilitate the removal of any foreign material lodged
behind the plugs, as follows:
replacing, remove the shafts from the engine in the
a. Clamp the camshaft in a vise equipped with soft
jaws, being careful not to damage the cam lobes
NOTE: Refer to Shop Notes in Section 1.0 to
or machined surfaces of the shaft.
install a cup plug in the front end of the
b. Make an indentation in the center of the camshaft
end plug with a 3 1/64 " drill (carboloy tip).
1. Dram the engine cooling system.
c. Punch a hole as deeply as possible with a center
punch to aid in breaking through the hardened
2. Remove all accessories and assemblies with their
surface of the plug.
attaching parts as necessary to permit the engine to be
mounted on an overhaul stand.
d. Then, drill a hole straight through the center of
the plug with a 1/4 " drill (carboloy tip).
Procedures for removing `accessories and assemblies
from the engine will be found in their respective
e. Use the 1/4 " drilled hole as a guide and redrill
sections of this manual.
the plug with a 5/16 " drill (carboloy tip).
3. Mount the engine on an overhaul stand. Be sure the
f. Tap the drilled hole with a 3/8 "-16 tap.
engine is securely mounted on the stand before
releasing the lifting sling.
g. Thread a 3/8 "-I6 adaptor J 8183 into the plug.
Then, attach a slide hammer J 6471-1 to the
4. Remove the cylinder head(s). Refer to Section 1.2.
adaptor and remove the plug by striking the
weight against the handle.
5. Remove the flywheel and the flywheel housing as
outlined in Sections 1.4 and 1.5.
h. Insert a length of 3/8 " steel rod in the camshaft
oil gallery and drive the remaining plug out.
6. Remove the bolts which secure the gear nut retainer