G e a r Train and Timing 1.7.1
DETROIT DIESEL 53
16. Install the injector as outlined in Section 2.1 or
10. Scribe a line on the crankshaft pulley in line with
2.1.1. Then, refer to Section 14 and adjust the exhaust
the end of the pointer.
valve clearance and time the fuel injector.
11. Slowly turn the crankshaft, opposite the direction
17. Turn the crankshaft, in the direction of rotation,
of rotation, until the indicator hand stops moving.
until the exhaust valves in the cylinder selected are
completely open. Reinstall the dial indicator so the
12. Continue to turn the crankshaft, opposite the
indicator spindle rests on the top of the injector
direction of rotation, until the indicator starts to move
follower. Then, set the indicator on zero. Next turn the
again. Now set the indicator on zero and continue to
crankshaft slowly, in the direction of rotation, until the
turn the crankshaft until the indicator reading is
center mark on the pulley is in line with the pointer.
18. Check the front end of the camshaft for an
13. Scribe the second line on the crankshaft pulley in
identification mark. For identification purposes, a
line with the end of the pointer.
letter "V" is stamped on each end of a low velocity
camshaft; but a letter "V" is not stamped on a high
14. Scribe a third line on the pulley half way between
the first two lines. This is top dead center.
velocity camshaft. Note the indicator reading and
compare it with the dimensions listed in Table 1 for
NOTE: If the crankshaft pulley retaining bolt
the particular camshaft in the engine.
loosened up, tighten it to the torque specified in
19. Remove the dial indicator; also remove the pointer
attached to the front of the engine.
15. Remove the dial indicator and rod from the
20. Install the valve rocker cover.
SEC. 1.7.1 Page 5