DETROIT DIESEL 53
1.6.3 Cylinder Liner
Install Cylinder liner, Piston and Connecting
After the piston and connecting rod assembly have
been installed in the cylinder liner, install the entire
assembly in the engine as follows:
8. Place the lower bearing shell -- the one with the
continuous oil groove from one parting line to the
1. Make sure the seal ring groove in the cylinder block
other -- in the connecting rod cap, with the tang on the
is clean. Then install a new seal ring.
bearing shell in the notch in the connecting rod
bearing cap. Lubricate the bearing shell with clean
NOTE: The current cylinder block has an ad-
ditional seal ring groove approximately l/8"
below the original top groove (Fig. 9). This
9. Install the bearing cap and the bearing shell on the
groove will permit further use of the cylinder
connecting rod with the identification numbers on the
block where corrosion or erosion of the upper
cap and the rod adjacent to each other. On the 3/8"-
seal ring groove has occurred. The lower seal
engines), tighten the nuts to
24 bolts (In-line
ring groove in the current cylinder block has
been eliminated. Reinstallation of the lower
seal ring is not necessary in the former cylinder
2. Apply hydrogenated vegetable type shortening or
permanent type antifreeze to the inner surface of the
3. If any of the pistons and liners are already in the
10. Check the connecting rod side clearance. The
engine, use hold-down clamps (Fig. 7) to retain the
clearance between the side of the rod and the
liners in place when the crankshaft is rotated.
crankshaft should be 006" to .012" with new parts on
an In-line engine,
4. Rotate the crankshaft until the connecting rod
journal of the particular cylinder being worked on is
at the bottom of its travel. Wipe the journal clean and
11. Install the remaining liner, piston and rod
lubricate it with clean engine oil.
assemblies in the same manner. Use hold-down clamps
to hold each liner in place.
5. Install the upper bearing shell -- the one with a
short oil groove at each parting line -- in the
12. After all of the liners and pistons have been
connecting rod. Lubricate the bearing shell with clean
installed, remove the hold-down clamps.
13. Install new compression gaskets and water and oil
6. Position the piston, rod and liner assembly in line
seals as outlined in Section 1.2. Then install the
with the block bore (Fig. 10) so the identification
cylinder head and any other parts which were removed
number on the rod is facing
from the engine.
the engine serial number side
(In-line engine). Also align the matchmarks on the
14. After the engine has been completely reassembled.
liner and the block. Then slide the entire assembly
r e f e r t o t h e L u b r i c a t i n g O i l S p e c i f i c a t i o n s in
into the block bore and seal ring, being careful not to
Section 13.3 and refill the crankcase to the proper
damage the seal ring.
level on the dipstick.
7. Push or pull the piston and connecting rod into the
15. Close all of the drains and fill the cooling system.
liner until the upper bearing shell is firmly seated on
the crankshaft journal.
16. If new parts such as pistons. rings. cylinder liners
or bearings were installed. operate the engine on the
run-in schedule given in Section 132.1.