DETROIT DIESEL 53
1.6 Piston and Piston Rings
Fig. 6 Location of Joint in Piston Pin
(Fig. 7). Then insert the guide bushing J 4970-5
in the fixture and secure it with the set screw.
b. Place the piston in the fixture and insert the pilot
end of the reamer J 4970-4 through the clamping
Fig. 5 Removing or Installing Piston Pin
bar. bushing and into the guide bushing.
2. Place the piston on the fixture so that the spacer
protrudes into the bushing bore.
3. Insert the installer J 4972-2 in a bushing, then
position the bushing and installer over the lower
NOTE: Locate the joint in the bushing toward
the bottom of the piston (Fig. 6).
4. Insert the handle J 1513-2 in the bushing installer
and drive the bushing in until it bottoms on the
5. Install the second bushing in the same manner.
6. The bushings must withstand an end load of 1800
pounds without moving after installation.
7. Ream the bushing, to size as follows:
a. Clamp the reaming fixture J 5273 in a vise