DETROIT DIESEL 53
6. Install the lubricating oil pump and oil intake pipe
4. With the Iower main bearing shells installed in the
bearing caps. apply a small quantity of International
Compound No. 2. or equivalent. to the bolt threads
and the bolt head contact area. Install the bearing caps
NOTE: If shims were used between the pump
and draw the bolts up snug. Then rap the caps sharply
(8V engine) and the bearing caps, install them
with a soft hammer to seat them properly and tighten
in their original positions.
the bolts uniformly. starting with the center bearing
cap and working alternately towards both ends of the
7. Install the oil pan, using a new gasket.
block. to 120-130 Ib-ft torque.
8. Fill the crankcase to the proper level on the dipstick
with heavy-duty lubricating oil of the recommended
NOTE: If the bearings have been installed
grade and viscosity (refer to Lubricating Oil Specifica-
properly. the crankshaft will turn freely with all
tions in Section 13.3).
of the main bearing cap bolts drawn to the
9. After installing new bearing shells, operate the
engine on a run-in schedule as outlined in
5. Check the crankshaft end play as outlined under
Install Crankshaft in Section 1.3.