Valve Operating Mechanism
DETROIT DIESEL 53
Fig. 12 - Relationship Between Exhaust Valve Bridge and Valve Stems
With this hole pointing away from the exhaust valves,
NOTE: Heat the Cindol 1705 in a small pail,
slide the cam follower into position.
with a screen insert. The screen insert will
prevent the follower assemblies from touching
3. Install a serrated lower spring seat on each push
the bottom of the pail during soaking, thus
rod. If the engine being assembled was equipped with
plain lower spring seats, replace them with serrated
IMPORTANT: When installing a new cam
follower assembly, wash it with clean lubricat-
4. Place the push rod springs (Fig. 11) on the push
ing oil or Cindol 1705 to remove the
5. Install the proper upper spring seat on each push
7. Note the oil hole in the bottom of the cam follower.
rod. The cup shaped spring seat used with the current
With this oil hole pointing away from the exhaust
type push rod spring may also be used with the former
valves, slide the cam follower into position from the
bottom of the head.
6. Set the push rod, lower spring seat, spring and
8. Attach the cam follower guide (Fig. 8) to the
upper spring seat down in the cam follower.
bottom of the cylinder head to hold the group of cam
followers in place. Tighten the cam follower guide
7. Install a flat washer and nut on the push rod. Then
bolts to 12-15 lb-ft torque. Check to be sure there is at
place tool J 3092-01 on the push rod, between the flat
least .005 " clearance between the cam follower legs
washer and upper spring seat. Screw the nut down on
and the cam follower guide (Fig. 9). If there is
the push rod until the spring is compressed sufficiently
insufficient clearance, loosen the guide bolts slightly
to permit the retainer to be installed. Partially collapse
and tap each corner of the guide with a brass rod
the retainer and install it in the cylinder head groove.
(Fig. 10). Then retighten the bolts to 12-15 lb-ft
8. Remove the nut, flat washer and tool from the push
torque and recheck the clearance.
9. Reinstall the nut on the push rod. Screw the nut
Install Cam Follower and Push Rod Assembly
down as far as possible on the push rod. Then screw
(Cylinder Head Not Removed from Engine)
the rocker arm clevis down on the push rod until the
end of the push rod is flush with or above the inner
1. Lubricate the cam follower as stated in Step 6 under
side of the clevis.
Install Cam Follower and Push Rod Assembly (Cylinder
Head Removed from Engine).
NOTE: The injector rocker arm (the center arm
of the group) is slightly different from the
exhaust valve rocker arms; the boss for the
2. Note the oil hole in the bottom of the cam follower.
SEC. 1.2.1 Page 7