Cylinder Head 1.2
DETROIT DIESEL 53
1. Disconnect the exhaust piping at the exhaust
2. Drain the cooling system.
3. Remove the air cleaner(s) or air silencer.
4. Disconnect the fuel lines at the cylinder head.
5. Remove the thermostat housing and the thermostat
as an assembly.
6. Clean and remove the valve rocker cover.
7. Disconnect and remove the fuel rod between the
governor and the injector control tube lever. Remove
the fuel rod cover, if used.
8. Remove the exhaust manifold.
9. Remove the injector control tube and brackets as an
10. If the cylinder head is to be stripped for
reconditioning of valves and valve seats or for a
Fig. 2 - Lifting Cylinder Head Assembly Off
complete cylinder head overhaul, remove the fuel
Cylinder Block with Tool J 22062-01
pipes and injectors at this time. Refer to Sections 2.1
or 2.1.1 for removal of the injectors.
The removal procedures to be followed. when
removing the parts mentioned above, are covered in
11. Remove the cylinder head bolts. Then, lift the
their respective sections of this manual.
cylinder head off of the cylinder block, with lifter tool
J 22062-01 (Fig. 2).
Clean Cylinder Hood
CAUTION: When resting the cylinder head
After the cylinder head has been stripped of all the
assembly on a bench, protect the cam follower
component parts and all of the plugs (except cup
rollers and the injector spray tips by resting the
plugs) have been removed, steam clean the head
valve side of the head on 2" thick wood blocks.
Thoroughly clean a new service cylinder head to
12. Remove the cylinder head compression gaskets, oil
remove all of the rust preventive compound,
seals and water seals.
particularly from the integral fuel manifolds, before
the plugs are installed in the fuel manifolds and the
head is mounted on the engine. A simple method of
Disassemble Cylinder Head
removing the rust preventive compound is to immerse
the head in solvent, oleum or fuel oil; then, go over
If a cylinder head is removed for inspection and
the head and through all of the openings with a soft
possible repair or replacement, remove the following
bristle brush. A suitable brush for cleaning the fuel
manifolds can be made by attaching a 1/8" brass rod
to brush J 8152. After cleaning, dry the cylinder head
1. Fuel injectors, if not previously removed.
with compressed air.
2. Fuel connectors.
Inspect Cylinder Head
3. Cam follower guides and cam followers.
1. Check the cylinder head for leaks as follows:
4. Rocker arms, rocker arm shafts, brackets, push rods,
push rod springs, spring seats and spring seat
a. Seal off the water holes in the head with steel
plates and suitable rubber gaskets held in place
5. Exhaust valves and valve springs.
July, 1970 SEC. 1.2 Page 3