VARIABLE SPEED MECHANICAL GOVERNOR AND INJECTOR RACK
3. Clean and remove the governor cover and the valve
The variable speed mechanical governor assembly is
rocker covers. Discard the gaskets.
mounted at the rear of the 6V engine, between the
flywheel housing and the blower (Fig. I). The
4. Place the speed control lever in the maximum speed
governor is driven by the right-hand blower rotor
5. Insert a .006" feeler gage between the spring
After adjusting the exhaust valves and timing the fuel
plunger and the plunger guide as shown in Fig. 2. If
injectors, adjust the governor and position the injector
required, loosen the lock nut and turn the adjusting
screw in or out until a slight drag is noted on the
NOTE: Before proceeding with the governor and
6. Hold the adjusting screw and tighten the lock nut.
injector rack adjustments, disconnect any
Check the gap and readjust if necessary.
supplementary governing device. After the
adjustments are completed, reconnect and
7. Use a new gasket and install the governor cover.
adjust the supplementary governing device.
Position Injector Rock Control Levers
Adjust Governor Gap
The position of the injector control racks must be
correctly set in relation to the governor. Their position
determines the amount of fuel injected into each
With the engine stopped and at normal operating
cylinder and ensures equal distribution of the load.
temperature, adjust the governor gap as follows:
Properly positioned injector rack control levers with
1. Disconnect any linkage attached to the governor
the engine at full-load will result in the following:
1. Speed control lever at the maximum speed position.
2. Back out the buffer screw until it extends
approximately 5/8" from the lock nut.
Fig. 2 Adjusting Governor Gap
Fig. 1 - Variable Speed Governor Mounting