DRIVE CARE AND MAINTENANCE
2. Check gear lash with dial indicator on
universal joint yoke 2 inches from pinion shaft
center. An indicator reading of between 0.013
inch and 0.033 inch will show the recommended
backlash of between 0.006 inch and 0.012 inch
is present in the gear set (refer to Fig. 11).
3. Transpose spacers used in both the case and
cover, decreasing the thickness of the spacer
used on the side in the direction which the gear
is to be moved and increasing the thickness of
the opposite spacer exactly the same amount as
required to obtain the correct gear lash.
4. Install remaining bolts, washers and nuts in
housing assembly and tighten all nuts in bolt
circle to specified torque (refer to Torque
INSTALL CAGE AND DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLIES
Spiral Bevel - Tapered Shaft
1. Coat cage flange contact surface with non-hardening sealing compound. Position cage assembly over studs
and tap into position with soft mallet.
3. Install differential and gear assembly using new gasket. Tighten nuts to specified torque (refer to Torque
INSTALL AXLE ASSEMBLY IN VEHICLE
1. Position axle assembly under vehicle and install spring clips.
2. Clean and lubricate hub cavity and wheel bearings if required.
3. Install wheels and adjust wheel bearings.
4. Install new outer oil seal assembly if required.
5. Install axle shafts using new gaskets. Tighten stud nuts to specified torque.
6. Connect brakes.
7. Connect universal at pinion shaft.